One of my readers asked me: How do you style a deep V-neck sweater? This type of top is very popular, and I’ve seen so many girls in my school wear them. I had been looking for a sweater that was deep enough to wear with my black leather skirt, but with the way these tops are cut, they tend to settle at the middle of your chest or below. I want the sweater to go all the way down to my waist only. I don’t want it to be too tight, but I don’t want it to be too loose either. Which style of sweater would you suggest that fits my body type and will make me look good in the outfit?
Hi! Thanks for your question. I think that deep V-neck sweaters look best when paired with a fitted skirt or pants, so I would suggest that you wear yours with a pair of skinny pants or a pencil skirt. This will make your waist look smaller and draw attention to your legs. The deep V-neck will also expose more skin, which will make your outfit look sexier. However, you should avoid wearing it with things like leggings because the deep cut of the V would end up looking weird or having way too much cleavage showing.
Tips for styling a deep V-neck sweater:
1. Get the right color. Try to get a dark color or jewel tone, like black, cobalt, navy or emerald green. Make sure that you have bright and fun accessories to use with the sweater in order to change up your style a bit.
2. Wear skinny jeans for a fashionable casual look or go slightly dressier with dark denim detail pants and boots.
3. Make sure to layer it on top of a button-down shirt or a long-sleeved tee so you can show off the cute details of the sweater, but not have your breast exposed.
4. Keep jewelry to a minimum; have a few necklaces and possibly earrings that will go well with it. The accessories shouldn’t steal away from the sweater and make it seem as if you are trying too hard.
When you wear a low-cut sweater, a V-neck is usually the most graceful option. And it can be tied up or worn off the shoulder. But there are some things that will not work with an open V-neck sweater:
1. The garment will not look good if the top of the V-neck is exposed.
2. Bum bag – You don’t want to show your underwear through a deep V-neck sweater. So, opt for a tight, tailored look instead.
3. Thin fabric – It’s great to wear a thicker piece with a deep V-neck. When you wear a flimsy piece, it’s likely that the V-neck will gape open and give an unwanted peek.
4. Low neckline – If you don’t want to expose an ample amount of skin, then opt for a drop sleeve sweater with a low V-neck. The drop sleeve can come in handy as it will cover your upper arms and shoulders but still keep your neck looking sexy.
No matter what you wear underneath it, it seems like a V-neck sweater just can’t be worn alone. That’s why I started looking for ways to style them.
There are many ways to style your V-neck sweater and here is what I found.
1. Wear a white t-shirt underneath it and you will get a very classy look that can also be worn at the office where business casual is required or on weekend with jeans and flats.
2. You can wear your V-neck sweater with a jacket and jeans and you will look very chic and sporty.
3. A matching pencil skirt will totally complement your V-neck sweater. Pairing it up with a leather jacket will look very elegant too.
4. Wearing it with black tights or high-waisted leggings will make it more of a statement piece hence enhancing its feminine aspect.
5. Wear a coordinating skirt with your top and keep the length just above the knee (no higher). Also avoid wearing too many accessories near your necklines, as this may make your outfit appear unprofessional.
6. Avoid wearing a deep V or plunging neckline with a blazer. If you must wear a deep V-neck that is not too low, consider wearing a blazer to cover it.
If you are going to a formal event, choose a black low-cut top with matching gloves and a skirt. This will bring out your eyes and make you more sophisticated. If possible, wear leggings so as to minimize panty lines.
If you are at the office, don’t attempt to make this look sexy by adding lots of accessories. A sexy look for the office would be to add lots of bling such as rings or bracelets.
In order to make the most out of a deep v-neck top, go for straight-leg cigarette pants. This will prevent your outfit from looking too casual.
If you are going to a formal event, consider wearing a deep v-neck with matching gloves and skirt. Wear leggings so as to minimize panty lines.
The deep V neck is a great fashion look for women looking for something different. However, if you wear a deep V-neck top, you need to be careful about what you wear it with. Because of the plunging design and open neckline, many pieces of clothing will not match or go well with this type of top.